Saturday, January 8, 2011

Same Old Song

It's a given that getting old sucks. What I hate is being reminded that I'm old...which has become more difficult since Casey learned to talk, since he likes to point out that I'm old (and bald).

For me, it's music that is always the killer. I still remember one of the first times that I really, truly felt old because of music. I was in LA driving along a freeway and left a station on that was playing "Maneater" by Hall & Oates. I don't particularly like "Maneater," but it was probably one of those Totally 80's things and I was holding out hope for something better.

And then the DJ came on and said those magic words..."Number 1 20 years ago this week, 'Maneater'..." It was like being hit in the stomach, because I was fairly aware of how old I was when the song was out, so if that had been 20 years...well, then that sucked. Of course, that story happened like 8 years ago, so now it really, really sucks.

The other night, I had it happen for the latest time. I was covering a high school basketball game and as part of some cheerleader routine they were playing "It's Tricky" by Run-DMC. And, part of me was thinking..."Aw, yeah, that's my jam!" Run, DMC, Jam Master Jay...hell yeah!

Then it hit me. I couldn't pinpoint it, but it dawned on me that "It's Tricky" came out somewhere in the late 80's, making it more than 20 years old. I mean, I've seen "Run's House" on MTV, so I know that he's old, but somehow that usually doesn't translate into me looking in the mirror at myself.

All I know is that it's pretty bad when the hip hop that I used to listen to that made me cool is now so old that the people in their 20's that work for me at my day job have never heard of it...I don't even know what to do with that. It was bad enough the time that a Heavy D & the Boyz song came on at work, and people were talking about remembering the song from when they were little kids.

Next thing you know, my Warren G and Snopp Dogg CD's are going to date me.

Aw, damn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment