Monday, January 31, 2011

The Bully-enator

Yesterday, my sons talked me into stopping at a McDonald's that has one of those play area things...you know the ones with the tubes and slides and stuff.
Casey came to me at one point and told me that there were mean kids inside. Being a lover, not a fighter, Casey decided to hang out in the lower levels. Marty, however, never came down. Finally, when I called him down to leave he told me that the mean kid that Casey had told me about had said that if Marty didn't tell him something that he would push him down the stairs. I told Marty that he shouldn't worry about it since nothing happened and started to usher him to the door. Marty said, "If I ever see that kid again, I'm going to teach him a lesson...in science."
It hadn't really dawned on me prior to that about the ambiguous nature of that saying. If no one's ever told you what you're supposed to be teaching a lesson about, how do you know?
So, I tried to explain to Marty what the difference was, but he didn't seem to get it. All he said was, "Well, I was just about to tell him that I know stuff about science, but then you said that we had to go."

No comments:

Post a Comment