Monday, January 3, 2011

Liar, Liar

My 5-year-0ld son Casey is a world-class liar. I don't say that in a derogatory way...he truly is good at it. Once he commits to a lie, then in his mind that's the truth. Doesn't matter how ridiculous it is...doesn't matter if you have a preponderance of evidence to support him being wrong...he will not admit to a lie.
One time, I ended up punishing both Casey and Marty for more than an hour for some minor transgression that I was pretty sure that the little one was responsible for. At the outset, I just wanted to be told what had happened while I was outside...which was something like some stuff had been knocked over in the kitchen. Casey clammed up. No matter what threat was issued, he stuck to his guns that he had no idea what had happened. Despite the fact that every time I left the room, I could hear Marty begging him to just fess up and get them out of the punishment. Eventually, I had to give up because legally you're not allowed to punish kids without proof indefinitely...and Casey never broke. The kid's either going to grow up to be in the CIA or in the mob.
The other night, while the boys were getting ready for bed, Marty started telling me about a movie idea that he has that he plans to make as a teenager. It was called "Kevout" and has to do with a plot to destroy the world using diamonds. The main character (Kevout) has to gather together four diamonds, each with different powers (electricity, ice, fire and wind) that when combined form something that can stop the bad guys. When I asked Casey what he thought of Marty's idea, he calmly said that he had already seen that movie. Now, Marty frequently has trouble controlling his emotions -- a byproduct of his Asperger's -- but this time he almost seemed ready. He responded that he had made it up, so Casey couldn't have seen it.
Casey persisted and added that he had seen a commercial for the movie. Marty, seeing a chink in the armor, responded that if his little brother had seen the commercial than he would have too and wanted to know where he had seen this "commercial."
Casey steadfastly insisted that he had seen it at their after school daycare. When Marty pointed out that he's at the daycare at the same time, Casey told him that the commercial had aired while Marty was at a doctor's appointment.
Finally, Marty said that there was an easy way to settle this...he would just wait until they saw the commercial again.
Now, most people would just give up, but not Casey. He looked earnestly at me and then back to his brother and said, "Well, I think that maybe too many people saw the commercial, so I don't know that they'll show it any more."
For the record, Marty does have a steady stream of ideas...even if they sometimes are a bit derivative. He told me that he wants to visit Nickelodeon to get in to see the president of the network...so that the president can help him get a meeting with iCarly's Miranda Cosgrove. Apparently, he has an idea for a movie about a teen girl rock band called "The Girls" that he wants to pitch to her. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that his pitch skills are probably about as good as mine always were during my Hollywood days...but with luck he can get Casey to go with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment