Sunday, May 29, 2011

Knowing Things

There are some things that I know that I can honestly say that I never really intended to know. For example, I now know a whole bunch of places in Northern Indiana. Prior to five years ago, I knew three...South Bend, Gary and Fort Wayne...and that only would have been because of traveling on the Interstate while driving through the state. Now, I drive all over the freakin' northern portion of Indiana and can identify roads, routes and towns. I know where Etna Green and Shipshewana are. I've been in Valparaiso multiple times. I know areas of South Bend that don't have anything to do with Notre Dame football.

Even worse, in the role of covering high school sports for a Northern Indiana newspaper -- the Elkhart Truth -- I've been to a ton of high schools in these communities. Not that I have anything against the schools really, but I didn't have it in my life plans to be hanging out at one in Topeka, Ind.

The other thing that I apparently know more about than I thought is country music. Some of my staff at my day job have been listening to country music on a regular basis. I don't necessarily mind, since I can find something to like in most types of music, but I'm a little disturbed when I can identify that a particular older song was sung by Clint Black. I also apparently remember a lot of the catalogs of Alabama, John Connolly, Randy Travis and God knows who else. I went to high school in a rural location and a lot of people listened to country around me. Turns out I picked up a lot of useless trivia during that time, I guess.

I guess that I should be happy when I realize that I know things, but really what I keep thinking is that I should probably be using that space for better knowledge...or at least doing something more interesting with it, like coming up with Internet Ponzi schemes to hep finance my Northern Indiana travel guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment