Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Keep on Rockin'

As I was leaving a Wal-Mart after purchasing a few things for my office, the bubbly store worker that helped make sure that I wasn't stealing the DVD player that set off the store's anti-theft alarm told me, "I hope the rest of your day rocks!"

I like her. Want to know why? Because I totally do want the rest of my day to rock!

Wouldn't it be nice if this was a standard parting wish? Who doesn't want to be wished a day that will rock?

Heck, I don't just want the rest of my day to rock, I want it to rock...in the way that Jack Black believes that it should in "School of Rock." Or, in the way that Dee Snider and Twisted Sister implored 15-year-old me to rock once upon a time.

(Side note: A friend of mine in California, Pablo, used to randomly walk up to me and say, "What do you want to do with your life?" and before I could answer would screech, "I wanna rock!" If you think it's weird watching Dee Snider singing it while Neidermeyer from "Animal House" gets pummelled in the classic '80's video, imagine it with a 5-foot-8 Hispanic guy yelling it two inches from your ear.)

One of my brother-in-law's likes the expression "rock on." However, I don't really want to rock on. I just like it when I'm simply supposed to rock. I don't want to be told to keep doing it. Well, unless I'm at a .38 Special concert, and I'm supposed to be "Rockin' Into the Night"...then I suppose that's ok. Kind of hard to ignore the raw Florida/Southern Rock power of .38 Special.

I tried passing it along, but it turns out that it doesn't sound right when I tell someone that I hope the rest of their day rocks. It just sounds odd. When I tell people to f-ck off, that seems to come out right. I think I just look more like someone that would tell you to do that, then would tell you to go ahead and rock.

Still, I hope that it catches on, because despite my outward demeanor, I'm perfectly ok with having my day rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment