Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Casey Day

Today is Casey's birthday. He turned six. I'm sure that I should be all nostalgic about his birth, but in all honesty, it wasn't that exciting on my end. Not like Marty's (different story). I'm sure that Amy feels differently, but to me the only interesting part of Casey's birth was the fact that we didn't have a name picked out going in. Just kind of decided on the spot...which really wasn't like us, since we're both kind of control freaks.

Doesn't mean that the last six years haven't been interesting. They have been. Casey is awesome...even if he is mouthy (told me the other day that he was going to keep eating until he was as fat as me, and when I said that I wasn't that fat, he walked up to me, patted my stomach and said, "See that? That's fat.")

Amy got kind of sad that Casey is getting older. I think that's more of a mother thing. I mean, I enjoyed it when he was smaller, but he couldn't participate in discussions about Marvel vs. DC superheroes. The fatherhood experience is primarily an excuse to continue acting like a kid when you want to.

Last week, I was talking to a friend of mine in Los Angeles who, much like me, didn't quite get as far career-wise as he thought he would. When I pointed out that he was still at least living on the West Coast, my perpetually single buddy said that I at least had a family and that must add something to my life. I wasn't really sure how to answer that.

You know what it does add? Little moments.

On Sunday as we were getting ready for the day -- which was basically a trip to Grandma's so that Casey could collect his gifts and cake -- I qued up Paul McCartney's Greatest Hits on iTunes. No specific reason...just seemed like goood "getting ready" music. Then I walked into the living room to find Casey and Amy quietly grooving to "With a Little Luck." Just kind of dancing along to what they were doing.

That's what I get out of this. I get moments that seem like they were written, but they're just real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment