Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday

Marty: I don't have to go to school because of Good Friday.

Me: Do you know what Good Friday actually is?

Marty: I don't remember.

Me: It represents the day that Jesus died.

Marty: Oh...I guess I'm going to have to watch that Jesus movie (Jesus Christ Superstar) after all. I'm just not that into the Holy Bible.

Me: So you've said. Why is that again?

Marty: There's just too much killing and stuff like that in it.

Me: But there's other stuff...parts about love and compassion and you always say that you like that stuff.

Marty: Yeah, but I guess I'm just not that much of a romantic.

Me: First off, that's not true. You're absolutely a romantic. But, besides that, the Bible really isn't about romance. There really aren't that many romantic parts...other than some parts are poetic.

Marty: I still don't like romance.

Me: Fine. What do you like?

Marty (smiling): Comedy!

I actually had a fleeting thought about trying to explain "The Life of Brian" to my 8-years-old son before thinking better of it (although, I do firmly believe that at some point in his life I will find him singing, "Bright Side of Life").

Later on, the kids watched "It's the Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown!" complete with their own commentary. Stuff like..."How come Snoopy's the only one that understands Woodstock?," "How did Woodstock get an invisible elevator?," "Where did the bird furniture come from?," "How did Snoopy even get in there with the bunnies, anyway?," "Why is Marcie so dumb?"

I'm not sure that we're doing a proper job of explaining this holiday to our children, but we have some enlightening conversations.




No comments:

Post a Comment