Saturday, April 9, 2011

Crackberry

While I've been out of town on a short family vacation, I have taken great pains to cut myself off from my normal routine of checking my Blackberry non-stop.

I haven't checked sports scores, I haven't looked at any new uploads on "Funny or Die," I haven't looked at Facebook.
I have limited my checking of e-mail for my day job or the theatre to once a day (I'm too paranoid to cut if off entirely).

I feel a little disconnected and a little off-balance. I'm enjoying myself, but say, when I actually didn't bring my Blackberry with me to a museum it did feel like I was missing a part of me. And, then it turned out that I actually needed the phone part of it because Casey and I got separated from Marty and Amy. As it happens, in the age of cell phones, people don't pick meeting places any more like they did when I was a kid. It only took 3 hours to find them, which I didn't think was that much of an issue, but I was alone in that belief.

I tried to ignore all phone calls as well...but then someone got seriously injured at my day job and I ended up on the phone trying to provide some direction for the situation whether I wanted to or not.

Of course, the boys haven't notice that I don't have my Blackberry, nor do they care. They don't like my phone...not because any reason like it takes my attention away from them or anything...they just don't like it as a device. Usually they'll ask to see my phone and then poke fruitlessly at the screen before regarding it with contempt, saying, "Oh, yeah, this is your phone," and handing it back to me...before setting off to find an iPhone.



No comments:

Post a Comment